Are we losing sight of the gospel in modern politics?
One of my deepest desires on this blog and podcast is that we correct the ways the modern church has gone off course, getting us away from the person of Christ, and that we help people find Jesus again.
Often when there’s really bad teaching, the gospel gets distorted–and it makes God sound really ugly, petty, and mean. No wonder so many people leave!
While I look mostly at marriage and gender, so many wonderful researchers are looking at the problems from different angles. Today, Andrew Whitehead, from Indiana University Purdue, joins us to talk about his new book American Idolatry, looking at the problem of Christian nationalism.
Or, as always, you can watch on YouTube:
Timeline of the Podcast
1:20 Andrew explains his background and work
10:00 Christian Nationalism, USA vs CAN
17:00 Jesus-Centered Faith vs. Nationalism
24:20 Talking about these issues with others
32:45 Fear urgency in Christian Nationalism
40:30 Spiritualizing social issues
46:00 Are stats enough to change minds?
53:00 Closing thoughts + New review!
How can we get back to a Jesus-centered faith?
In the podcast, I share some of my favourite quotes from Andrew’s book, and he shares his story of growing up in a typical evangelical family, and starting to notice as he got older that some of the things that seem associated with Christianity don’t seem Christian at all.
How can a nation that says it’s based on Christian principles have committed genocide against the First Nations peoples, and enshrined slavery? How do we make sense of this?
In our conversation, we talk about the difference between patriotism and nationalism, and how we can find Jesus again even when our political discourse gets ugly.
Things Mentioned in the Podcast
- Take our new marriage survey! We’re looking for couples to take our survey (you take it separately and can’t see each other’s responses). Even if your spouse can’t, you’re welcome to take it, but we’d love to se both spouses complete it.
- Join our Patreon for as little as $5 a month and support our work, while getting access to our awesome Facebook community!
- Our Merch makes great Christmas gifts! Order before December 11 to guarantee delivery by Christmas:
- Andrew Whitehead’s book American Idolatry, and Andrew Whitehead’s book with Sam Perry, Taking Back America for God
- Join Andrew’s substack!
- Follow Andrew on Instagram
- Listen to Andrew’s 4 part series on Christian nationalism
- Our book (co-authored with podcast guest Joanan Sawatsky) The Great Sex Rescue
What do you think? Have you seen some of these dynamics in your church? Let’s talk in the comments!