One of the books that women report is most harmful to them is For Women Only. When we analyzed 13 of evangelicalism's sex & marriage best-sellers when writing The Great Sex Rescue, For Women Only scored 11/48, ranking 11/13--so the third worst, in front of only...
All the Latest from "Podcasts"
The Obligation Sex Series
- 10 Things to Know about Obligation Sex
- Why Obligation Sex Destroys Libido (and how it affects us long-term) (coming soon)
- A Way Forward to Recovery from Obligation Sex (coming soon)
- You Don’t Need to Consent to Being Used (coming soon)
- When Your Husband Won’t Let go of Obligation Sex (coming soon)
- The Obligation Sex podcast (coming soon)
Previous Posts on Obligation Sex
- Can We Honor our Bodies’ Rhythms?
- Does 1 Corinthians 7 Mean that Women Have No Sexual Autonomy?
- What Happens When Men Believe the Obligation Sex Message?
Previous Podcasts on Obligation Sex
- New Research on the effects of Obligation Sex
- The Myth of the Magic Penis
- Marital Rape, Consent, and the Problems with Obligation Sex
Plus please see our Great Sex Rescue Toolkit for handy downloads about the effects of obligation sex that you can give to your pastor, counselor, small group leader–anyone who teaches it!
And see chapters 9 and 10 in The Great Sex Rescue for all our charts, stats, and commentary!
The Sexual Recovery Series–Digging Yourself out of the Pit
- A 4 -Point Plan to Sexual Recovery
- Redefining Sex: Seeing Sex as an Expression of your Relationship, Not an Individual Need
- What Sexual Recovery Looks Like
- Safety and Intimacy: You’ll Never Have an Intimate Sex Life without Feeling Safe First
- When Sex Has Become One-Sided, Leaving Her Feeling Used
- 8 Step Plan to Regain Sexual Autonomy
- Why You Need to Deal with Your Own Sexual Stuff
- When Your Spouse Won’t Change
Marital Rape Posts:
- 2 Kinds of Marital Rape
- How to Recover from Marital Rape (if it’s possible)
- Why Christians Often Don’t Understand Consent
- 5 Next Steps if You Realize You’ve Coerced Your Wife into Sex
- Does 1 Corinthians 7 Mean that She Has No Sexual Autonomy?
- How Do I Get My Husband to Understand He’s Been Coercing Me into Sex?
- PODCAST: A Path forward Addressing Sexual Shame (with Jay Stringer)
- PODCAST: The Myth of the Magic Penis (and a call for integrated sex)
- PODCAST: Learned Helplessness and Sex
Keith’s Danvers Statement Series
Looking at the 4 ways those who believe in hierarchy in marriage think marriage can go wrong
- Domination: Do hierarchalists take it seriously?
- Passivity: Is it the problem hierarchalists say it is?
- Usurpation: Behold the circular logic!
- Servility: When every problem is a nail
- And our PODCAST summarizing the whole series!
Plus see the book Keith co-authored with Sheila, The Good Guy’s Guide to Great Sex!
The Research Deep Dive Series
- Does Sex Start in the Kitchen or Does It Die There?
- How Does a Couple’s First Time Affect Libido?
- Is “All Men Struggle With Lust” a Primal Fear?
- Is She Dressing for Attention or is He?
- PODCAST: Ogling and Dressing for Attention
- 5 Questions to Ask That Minimize Bias When Discussing Research
- 10 Things to Know About Hormones and Libido
- Bring Back Vanilla Sex
The Marriage Misdiagnosis Series
- I’ve Figured Out Why Christian Marriage Advice Can Be So Shallow
- Why Elevating Commitment As the Answer to Everything Misses the Point
- 4 Things Christian Marriage Teachers Need to Stop Saying
- Who is the Focus of Most Marriage Teaching?
- PODCAST with Natalie Hoffman: An example of marriage misdiagnosis in real life
- PODCAST: The Marriage Misdiagnosis Podcast
- Are We Putting Reconciliation Before Rebuilding Trust?
- Does It Really Take Two to Tango?
- Should We Always Put the Husband Before the Kids?
- Why Holding Up Radical Stories of Marriage Restoration Can Harm More than Hurt
- If I Pray Hard Enough, Will God Heal My Marriage?
- I Followed Christian Marriage Advice about Genders–and I Failed My Husband
And please check out our book The Great Sex Rescue about all the ways that evangelicalism has given the wrong diagnosis about sex!
Older posts from "Podcasts"
Can discipline and kindness go together? Today on the Bare Marriage podcast we're joined by one of our favourite people, Wendy Snyder, a parenting coach with Fresh Start Family. She helps parents learn how firm kindness works--how we can connect with our kids through...
We finally saw the Barbie Movie! Keith and I, along with my mom and my son-in-law, went to see the Barbie movie last weekend! Rebecca and Connor saw it on opening night, but with vacations and sicknesses and other stuff Keith and I haven't been able to see it until...
What does a biblical marriage look like? We're back for another season of the Bare Marriage podcast! And this year we want to look at what it means to live out the Jesus Way of marriage--how it's about letting go of the chain-of-command mode of marriage, which means...
We hear this all the time: "I want to share your podcast with friends, but I have no idea which episodes to start with!" And I get it. We put out a weekly podcast which means that every year we're putting out close to 50 episodes, that's a lot of content to keep...
It's our 200th episode! And we wanted to celebrate by doing something that matters to Rebecca--and to so many of you. We wanted to read some back issues of Brio Magazine, the magazine for preteen and teen girls published by Focus on the Family that encapsulated purity...
Jane Austen has some great marriage advice! Or at least, some wonderful advice on HOW TO CHOOSE A SPOUSE. And for the last two podcasts of the season before we take a month off, we decided to record something that we wanted to talk about, something that we talk about...
Let's talk about how complementarians think marriage can go wrong! This month on the blog Keith's been writing up a series on the Danvers Statement, the codified statement of complementarianism that launched the Council for Biblical Manhood and Womanhood, and that has...
What can be wrong with telling wives to pray for their husbands? Absolutely nothing! But when you tell them that the answer to your husband's abuse, addictions, or bad treatment of you is prayer, and that you have to believe those prayers will work in order for the...
Ready for some new research on orgasm? It's been a while since we shared some new findings in the areas of sex and marriage, and we've been saving new peer reviewed articles and studies to tell you about! Today we thought we'd focus on two that relate to obligation...
How do you act out the belief that women are equal? This podcast takes a fun and different take on a topic we've dealt with a lot--but we haven't really made practical. A few weeks ago we hosted Nijay Gupta on the Bare Marriage podcast to take another look at women in...
What if the sex that is being described by many male authors is actually male-centric? What if the way they're talking about sex actually hints that it's not about her pleasure at all, but is simply focused on his climax during intercourse? That's what we think is...
Are there women in the Bible whose stories you've never heard? There likely are! Nijay Gupta opens his new book Tell Her Story with the story of the four African American women featured in the book Hidden Figures, who worked at NASA for the first space flights and...