Can church actually cause religious trauma?
Today on the podcast I’m talking with Dr. Laura Anderson, an expert in the complex trauma that we often find in religious circles. You can’t necessarily point to one particularly bad thing; but it’s all of these little things that add up that can cause CPTSD symptoms.
And we talk about about how to recognize trauma; what trauma is; why it often occurs in religious circles; and what we can do about it.
Plus I bring in a bit of my story! I found that Dr. Laura’s book really helped me put words to a lot of what I’ve felt over the last two decades, and gave me some of the missing pieces that I needed.
Or, as always, you can watch on YouTube:
What is religious trauma?
What makes Dr. Laura Anderson unique in her field is that she’s not coming at this from the point of view of: “All religion is harmful and Christianity is bad.” She actually sees the good in faith and religion and the good that God can do in our lives.
But that doesn’t mean that controlling institutions don’t cause real harm, and she’s on a mission to help us recognize religious trauma so that we can get out of controlling places and flourish in religious spaces that are healthy.
Plus she takes us on a journey of healing from religious trauma!
Things Mentioned in the Podcast
Our marriage survey is still open! We’re looking for married couples to take it. https://baremarriage.com/grim
- Join our Patreon for as little as $5 a month, and get access to our incredible Facebook group, unfiltered podcasts, and more! https://patreon.com/baremarriage
- Help us raise $52,000 by Christmas to expand our reach and make inroads into academic circles! BOSKO LINK HERE
- Laura Anderson’s book When Religion Hurts You https://amzn.to/3sB0Zhs
- Find Laura on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/drlauraeanderson/
- Our Merch: order before December 10 to use it as Christmas gifts! https://sheilawraygregoire.com/product-category/merchandise/
- Our book She Deserves Better, outlining some of the trauma messages teen girls receive, and our book The Great Sex Rescue, outlining vaginismus as a potential trauma response
Have you ever experienced what you think may be religious trauma? Let’s talk in the comments!