"How do I talk to a woman about what she's wearing?" I've received a number of social media messages from women lately asking how to approach a woman about her clothing choices. In some cases it's been a work situation. In others a ministry situation. In several...
All the Latest from "Life"
The Obligation Sex Series
- 10 Things to Know about Obligation Sex
- Why Obligation Sex Destroys Libido (and how it affects us long-term) (coming soon)
- A Way Forward to Recovery from Obligation Sex (coming soon)
- You Don’t Need to Consent to Being Used (coming soon)
- When Your Husband Won’t Let go of Obligation Sex (coming soon)
- The Obligation Sex podcast (coming soon)
Previous Posts on Obligation Sex
- Can We Honor our Bodies’ Rhythms?
- Does 1 Corinthians 7 Mean that Women Have No Sexual Autonomy?
- What Happens When Men Believe the Obligation Sex Message?
Previous Podcasts on Obligation Sex
- New Research on the effects of Obligation Sex
- The Myth of the Magic Penis
- Marital Rape, Consent, and the Problems with Obligation Sex
Plus please see our Great Sex Rescue Toolkit for handy downloads about the effects of obligation sex that you can give to your pastor, counselor, small group leader–anyone who teaches it!
And see chapters 9 and 10 in The Great Sex Rescue for all our charts, stats, and commentary!
The Sexual Recovery Series–Digging Yourself out of the Pit
- A 4 -Point Plan to Sexual Recovery
- Redefining Sex: Seeing Sex as an Expression of your Relationship, Not an Individual Need
- What Sexual Recovery Looks Like
- Safety and Intimacy: You’ll Never Have an Intimate Sex Life without Feeling Safe First
- When Sex Has Become One-Sided, Leaving Her Feeling Used
- 8 Step Plan to Regain Sexual Autonomy
- Why You Need to Deal with Your Own Sexual Stuff
- When Your Spouse Won’t Change
Marital Rape Posts:
- 2 Kinds of Marital Rape
- How to Recover from Marital Rape (if it’s possible)
- Why Christians Often Don’t Understand Consent
- 5 Next Steps if You Realize You’ve Coerced Your Wife into Sex
- Does 1 Corinthians 7 Mean that She Has No Sexual Autonomy?
- How Do I Get My Husband to Understand He’s Been Coercing Me into Sex?
- PODCAST: A Path forward Addressing Sexual Shame (with Jay Stringer)
- PODCAST: The Myth of the Magic Penis (and a call for integrated sex)
- PODCAST: Learned Helplessness and Sex
Keith’s Danvers Statement Series
Looking at the 4 ways those who believe in hierarchy in marriage think marriage can go wrong
- Domination: Do hierarchalists take it seriously?
- Passivity: Is it the problem hierarchalists say it is?
- Usurpation: Behold the circular logic!
- Servility: When every problem is a nail
- And our PODCAST summarizing the whole series!
Plus see the book Keith co-authored with Sheila, The Good Guy’s Guide to Great Sex!
The Research Deep Dive Series
- Does Sex Start in the Kitchen or Does It Die There?
- How Does a Couple’s First Time Affect Libido?
- Is “All Men Struggle With Lust” a Primal Fear?
- Is She Dressing for Attention or is He?
- PODCAST: Ogling and Dressing for Attention
- 5 Questions to Ask That Minimize Bias When Discussing Research
- 10 Things to Know About Hormones and Libido
- Bring Back Vanilla Sex
The Marriage Misdiagnosis Series
- I’ve Figured Out Why Christian Marriage Advice Can Be So Shallow
- Why Elevating Commitment As the Answer to Everything Misses the Point
- 4 Things Christian Marriage Teachers Need to Stop Saying
- Who is the Focus of Most Marriage Teaching?
- PODCAST with Natalie Hoffman: An example of marriage misdiagnosis in real life
- PODCAST: The Marriage Misdiagnosis Podcast
- Are We Putting Reconciliation Before Rebuilding Trust?
- Does It Really Take Two to Tango?
- Should We Always Put the Husband Before the Kids?
- Why Holding Up Radical Stories of Marriage Restoration Can Harm More than Hurt
- If I Pray Hard Enough, Will God Heal My Marriage?
- I Followed Christian Marriage Advice about Genders–and I Failed My Husband
And please check out our book The Great Sex Rescue about all the ways that evangelicalism has given the wrong diagnosis about sex!
Older posts from "Life"
What if there's something super simple you could do that could improve your mood and your marriage? I talked on Monday about rhythms in our lives--how to honor our bodies' rhythms, with the need for work and rest; for feasting and fasting. And I thought today we could...
Did you know that 45,000 receive an email from me every Friday with a round-up of things from the blog and social media that week? To make sure you don't miss anything? And that email is usually written by Rebecca, with an extra insight or thought into where the...
So the wet towels anecdote from Love & Respect has gone big on social media this week. And I wanted to share it with you! As some of you may remember, I've been appalled at what Emerson Eggerichs said in his book Love & Respect (again, the most used marriage...
What if aging parents need help, but only one child lives near them? This week I’ve been rerunning a series I did a few years ago about caring for aging parents. I originally started the conversation by accident, with a little bit of a rant on 3 things parents should...
How do you set boundaries on how much help you can reasonably give to aging parents? This week I'm re-running a series I wrote a few years ago. We started yesterday talking about how parents should really try to help their adult children who will be caring for them...
If you need your adult children to eventually care for you, then that should factor into an equation NOW. I've been thinking about something for a while now that I'd like to just say. It's going to be a bit of a rant, and I may not sound very sympathetic. But I think...
Keith and I have been in the RV for a week and I have made a significant discovery! First, though, I'm not going to have a normal post up today. I'm in vacation mode and couldn't think of anything about marriage to write about. Rebecca, however, has already written...
On the a vacation we took just over a decade ago, I started knitting a blanket. It was what knitters call a "sock yarn blanket", meaning that it's made from all the ends of balls you have after you've finished a pair of socks. For twenty years I've been knitting...
Do marriages need someone to be in charge? And what does it mean if you assume that they do? Last week Alistair Begg, a big speaker and theologian, posted this on social media:I could say so much about what's theologically wrong with this statement, but I'd encourage...
Downsizing sounds like a failure--we didn't live up to our dreams. Maybe we need to see it a different way! This month we're looking at doing marriage on hard mode--are we making marriage, and life, more difficult than it needs to be? And one of the biggest things...
What do you do when your husband hates going to the doctor--but he really needs to go? A lot of guys just hate seeing a physician. In fact, that's one of the reasons that researchers figure that married men live longer--their wives often push them to go, when...
What happens when women carry the mental load for the whole family? It can be exhausting! Last June, my series on the blog was on mental load and emotional labor, and how draining it is for women to have to remember everything and keep all details straight, and how...